One way to accelerate your career or business is with good writing and communication. In any business today, good writing and communication skills are required in a myriad of ways, including email, advertising copy, and presentations. A deficiency in writing and communication skills can hold you back and even damage your career ambitions.
By using simple, clear, precise language–and following a few other basic writing rules–you can become a better communicator. Whether you are finance guru, web developer who dreams in code, a secretary, or front desk receptionist, good writing and communication skills is required for the success of the business.
Most business professionals have little or no experience or training when it comes to writing. Those with business degrees probably did a bit of writing in school, however writing is rarely stressed in business programs. To be a good communicator your need to use simple, clear, precise language and follow a few basic rules.
Here are few tips to improve your writing and communication skills:
- Less is more
- Avoid using metaphors
- Use simple clear language
- Insert a call for action
- Delete all those needless words
- Focus on lucidity or clarity
- Always write and use active verbs
- Make sure you answer all questions: Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How?
- Save a copy of successful templates for future prototypes
- Pay special attention to names, titles, and genders
- Understand the difference between “affect” vs. “effect
- Use English and avoid all forms of jargon
- Properly insert your periods when using a quotation.
- Avoid exclamation points
- Confirm whenever possible and respond to emails with a confirmation.
- Short sentences are best
- Sign off in a professional way
- Match your subject to your pronoun and verb
- Use correct grammatical structure and complete sentences
- Try avoid using too many adverbs
- Use your spell check
- Proofread your work
- Read it out loud
- Write once, check twice
Good writing and communication skills may require a talent that few of us have, but effective writing and communication is a skill that can be mastered with training or short course. If your business writing isn’t up to snuff, follow the tips above and see if you can’t improve it.