After you complete your high school final examinations with outstanding results and grasp that that you are in need of funds to continue your education, what should you do? This is actually the predicament facing a large number of students after graduating high school with the end result that the majority of the younger generation find themselves sitting at home possibly searching for employment or simply just becoming a burden to their parents . For anyone who is considering making an application for a bursary, be sure you apply prior to the closing date.
Precisely what is a bursary?
A bursary can be described as financial support granted to a student dependent on a mixture of academic achievements and financial requirements to further his/her education with a higher learning institution. The length of a bursary may vary from a year or may very well be given for the whole period of study. Extension of a bursary is dependent upon your academic accomplishment. Various large organisations, companies, governmental and non governmental organisations often fund bursaries for study in a specific field.
Bursary terms and conditions are different
The terms and conditions of bursaries can vary enormously based upon, in the majority of cases, the company/organization providing the bursary. Contract bursaries in most cases demand that you “pay back” the bursary by way of working at the company when you have concluded your studies and frequently they provide a bursary work experience along with a position subsequent to graduation.
Are you Eligible for a Bursary?
In order to be eligible for any kind of bursary you will need to satisfy their selection criteria which usually based on your academic results and apply to all candidates. Virtually all companies will likely not take into consideration anything below 60% on the specific subjects which you will be required to pass while some 50%. It all depends on the company/organization providing the bursary. Although many are able to offer bursaries depending on financial needs they will also take into consideration your academic progress.
Additional important factors which often can be pertinent to bursary candidates are: Your citizenship as well as your acceptance into a suitable study programme at an accredited higher education institution. Candidates also have to fulfill certain admission requirements of the institution and in addition they also have to satisfy the national election criteria for that bursary organization.
What do Bursaries take care of?
A number of bursaries will in some cases take care of just about all the recipients’ vital expenses. Expenses covered include things like tuition, full board and lodging in addition to meals, books and learning materials, along with a small allowance for monthly cost of living. Universities differ regarding their cost structures, consequently the total value of a bursary is different from institution to institution.
Guidelines when submitting an application for a bursary.
- Bursary application preparation should commence at school. Give your very best in grade 11 and 12 to attain the best results as a result it is possible to fulfill the bursary’s academic requirements.
- As the beginning of the year start collecting information regarding companies and organisation that offer bursaries which deal with your field of study (bursary officer’s contact details, application process, application schedules and bursary criteria). This information and facts are, in most cases, published on the company’s website.
- While numerous companies and organisation will in fact advertise online or perhaps in various newspapers the moment their bursary programme is opened, it is advisable to take initiative and determine if there are any bursaries available.
- Companies will in most cases make clear the application process either in their advertisements or website. Pay attention to these details as this will enable you to plan the best way forward. In most cases, if the information is not on the company’s website, they will post/email it to you after you’ve applied.
- After you’ve collected all the companies’ details and received the appropriate information and facts with regards to the bursary application process look into the selection criteria to make sure you meet the requirements and are eligible for that bursary.
- Get a hold of every piece of information they could possibly want: your personal and family information, specifics of your proposed study, parent’s employment details, along with local community participation information, academic records, personal/academic achievements and so on.
- Be certain to make available all supporting documentation as requested. Nothing more nothing less. In most cases application forms will give you a space for your motivation, if not, it is advisable to include your own personal motivational letter.
- Submit it to the correct address by the due date, in addition make sure you provide your correct contact information as requested.
- Keep a copy of your application form given that they could possibly ask you on exactly what you wrote should they call you for an interview.
- Be mindful of the fact that companies receive thousands of bursary applications annually as a result it’s critical not to expect any special treatment. So bare in mind you happen to be one in search of them and certainly not the other way around even if you have excelled in all your subjects. No one automatically qualifies therefore do your very best to impress them in your application forms.