Are you one to those people who dread waking up every dyad going to work? Do you hate what you do? Is hating your work consuming your life? Are you desperate to make a change and improve your life? There is no reason to hate your life and work even if there are things that are out of your control. It is the things that you can control that can make you happier at work.
Let be honest, personal happiness and work sometimes do not go hand in hand. A study done by Gallup who interviewed over 180 million people found that a mere 13% of people are actually happy with the jobs they are doing. Those who do rate themselves as happy are 36% more motivated, six times more energized, and twice as productive as their unhappy counterparts.
In order to understand what makes you happy, you need to understand and learn what works for you as an individual. Once you accept and realize what works for you, then life and happiness tends to improve. Discovering what makes you happy not only improves your personal health but also your overall work performance.
Here are a few recommendations to that will help you find happiness at work:
- It is up to you take charge and control of your happiness
- Do something you love every single day
- Ignore things that are out of your control
- Avoid comparing yourself to other people around you
- Remember to reward yourself for work well done
- Part of your mental happiness is physically exercise and activity
- Do not judge others or participate in gossip mongering in the office
- Be selective with the battles you wish to fight
- Always be true to yourself don’t violate your personal standards
- Clear up your workspace and clutter
- Focus on one thing at at time and stop multitasking
- Constantly be aware of ways to help you grow
- Assist others in the workplace
- Make commitments to things you can keep
- Ask you boss for more responsibilities and task to do
- Track the progress you make toward goals
- Make your office your own and create a nest
- Make sure to eat healthy and hydrated
- Take a 5 minute break and get some fresh air when feeling overwhelmed
- Focusing on your strengths can build happiness and improve productivity
- Try to laugh more and smile
- Having a sense of meaning can contribute to happiness in the workplace.
- Avoid socializing with negative people
- Delegate some of the decisions to others around you
- Practice positive thinking and acting positively
- Don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself
- View your co-workers as relationships and not just pawns
- Take a step back and contemplate what you’re grateful for
- Believe in your future and that the best is still to come
- Always leave your personal problems at home
- Get feedback from your boss and co-workers
Following the tips above will not only improve your a happiness at work but also improve your emotional intelligence. Pick those that resonate with you and have fun with them.