Have you ever played hooky at work? It has happened to all f us. You wake up and it is a beautiful day, and the last you want is going to work. Now you have to think of an excuse to tell you boss and hope he or she accepts your excuse.
A study by the mutual healthcare provider Benenden Health found revealed some some terrible excuses for not turning up to work. The results from the study revealed that six out of ten bosses do not believe excuses given by their employees.
In CareerBuilder’s annual survey, 29 percent of workers admitted to playing hooky this year, citing errands and plans with family or friends among their top reasons for calling in sick. But some employees like to get more creative.
Before calling in sick you should think twice about what you say. Many managers will search social media after receiving your call and hearing your excuse and to see if your are healthy enough to post updates. Employers are being forced to monitor employee sick leave and absenteeism via social media, questioning the reasons for absence, or even going as far as requesting a doctors note.
High levels of sickness absence can have a huge negative impact on businesses – both from a financial perspective and on the effect it has on staff who bear the extra workload. The biggest effects of sickness were the demotivation caused to those employees who have to take on the work of the absent employees.
Here are a few excuses; some smart some not, that people use to avoid going to work:
- I just put a casserole in the oven.
- My plastic surgery needs some tweaking to get it just right.
- My feet and legs fell asleep when I was sitting in the bathroom, and when I stood up I broke my ankle.
- I was gambling at the casino all weekend and still have money left. I need to stay to win it back.
- I open the fridge and it fell on me.
- I’m stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store.
- I got lucky last night and don’t know where I am this morning.
- I put my uniform in the microwave to dry and it caught fire.
- I accidentally got on a plane.
- A can of baked beans landed on my big toe
- I was swimming too fast and smacked my head on the poolside
- I’ve been bitten by an insect
- My 12 year old daughter stole my car and you had no other to get to work.
- My car handbrake broke and it rolled down the hill into a lamppost.
- My dog has had a big fright and I don’t want to leave him.
- My hamster died.
- I’ve injured myself during sex.
- I slipped on a coin.
- My child stuck a mint up his nose and had to go to the ER to remove it.
- I’ve had a sleepless night.
- My mum has died (this was the second time the person used this excuse).
- I am hallucinating.
- I am stuck in my house because the door’s broken.
- My new girlfriend bit me in a delicate place.
- I burned my hand on the toaster.
- The dog ate my shoes.
- My fish is sick.
- I swallowed white spirit.
- My toe is trapped in the bath tap.
- I drank too much and fell asleep on someone’s floor – I don’t know where I am.
- My trousers split on the way to work.
- I’m using a new contact lens solution and my eyes are watering.
- I have a blocked nose.
- I’ve had a hair dye disaster.
- I’ve got a sore finger .