Do you feel you are in a dead-end job with no hope of advancement or promotion? If your answer is yes, don’t panic there are many opportunities to make a career transition and pursue your dream job and career. If you choose to go down this road or a career change, you will have to continue with your education and either upgrade your current skills or learn new skills. If you are looking for a career change or a higher salary, continuing education can be pursued at any time.
The reality and benefit of continuing education is that it can open previously closed doors and lead to better job opportunities and / or promotions. Continuing education is an all-encompassing term within a broad spectrum of post-secondary learning activities, programs, or vocational training obtained by older adults or working professionals.
Research has shown that the demand for continuing education will grow over the next decade as economic conditions and environments change. It is these changing conditions that is driving the demand for continuing education, especially during recessions. During downturns in the economic climate, many people seek to upgrade or learn new skills in order to remain hired or to seek out new job opportunities.
There are many benefits of continuing education. The following are ways you can benefits from continuing with your education and upgrading your skills:
- Professionals with graduate degrees can improve their chances of promotion and, in turn, receive a higher salary. In certain circumstances and to qualify for certain jobs, it is a requirement to complete specialized training.
- Continuing education can also increase your marketability in the job market.
- As you pursue your higher education, you will be exposed to new fields of study, both through required courses and new people you’ll meet. You may discover that your chosen field, while interesting for the time being, is not your dream career.
- Upgrading your skills and continuing with your education can open new doors and opportunities for a career change.
- Continuing your education gives you advanced knowledge about your area of study. Between research assignments, advanced courses and learning from established experts, you will eventually earn a reputation as an expert in your field.
- Continuing education allows adults to meet other like-minded individuals and make new contacts in and out of their fields.
- Many think of higher education solely as a mechanism for landing better jobs, but that’s only part of the picture. Continuing education is an excellent way to learn about things you are personally interested in that are not directly related to your current job or career.
- Furthering your education can also give you more confidence and improve your social image in your family and social life.
- Continuing your education can have a positive effect on your personal life.
- Upgrading your skills or completing a college degree can have a direct effect on your self-image and other aspects of your personal life.
Furthering your education and enrolling in a college might be because you have a passion to learn new things and qualify for certain types of jobs. However, there are those that are unable to enroll in college due to the demands of a full-time job. For those people with time management constraints and work commitments have the opportunity to continue with their education via online continuing education programs.
The main benefit of continuing education is that you can choose to study at any time. Continuing education can help adults in all areas of their profession. It opens the doors for new opportunities, allows you to network with people you may otherwise have never met, gives you the possibility to explore new career paths, and even enlightens you as trends of today change.