One of the most common and ignored job descriptions today is that you need to work well with others. Little do you know, this is not a request, rather a critical part of any job and non-negotiable. In other words, if you don’t work well with others, consider yourself fired. This will happen over and over, no matter where you work until you find yourself in a lonely job working alone.
If you, however, learn and develop your interpersonal habits when it comes to working in a team or with others, then this could lead to leadership opportunities, higher salary, and a far more rewarding job description.
Listed below are some habits that if implemented correctly will ultimately result in success for individuals and teams. Some might seem silly and obvious but then this will mean that everyone can do them and get them right. I can guarantee from the list below,you know someone who will get some of them wrong.
There are many ways and habits that will enhance working relationships and teamwork. Some habit don’t take much effort to do and adopt but offer the largest benefits. Some of the habits in the list might seem trivial. But if you start to get a few of them wrong or right, this might mean the difference between getting fired or keeping your job. Or even a promotion.
Here are a few recommendations:
- Always remember to put your phone away.
- Take the time to spend time with co-workers.
- Never interrupt others when they are talking just to get your ideas out.
- Always do things with a win-win in mind and not at the detriment of others.
- Never forget to brush your teeth and be aware of bad breath.
- Reply to emails immediately even to say that you received the email and will respond in more detail later.
- Be aware how you say things, Be honest and tactful in your communication.
- Always respond to all emails you receive. When you receive a response, don’t forget to say thank you.
- Be aware of your body language when you are around others.
- Before you click the send button, double-check what you have written and make sure you are sending the email to the correct person and included all attachments.
- Be aware of the noise level you are making when, for example, you are listening to music.
- Make sure you are always punctual and on time for every appointment.
- Always share the credit with your co-workers.
- Stay positive and be happy. Positive people are generally successful and help others to succeed.
- Always try to keep smiling. It’s a sign of happiness and will lead to success.
- If you want to make friends, then never forget their names.
- If you see trash on the floor, pick it up. Don’t say it’s someone else job.
- Look at your co-workers when they are talking to you.
- Never quit on yourself and think you cannot be friendly. Always strive to improve yourself.
- Always look a the positive in others and assume the best.
- Make sure you put deodorant before coming to the office.
- Plan your day and review what did at the end of the day.
- Stand up and take responsibility if you make a mistake or something goes wrong.
- Don’t be afraid to say no or disagree. Nothing worse than working with someone who always agrees with you.
- Make sure you exercise and take care of your health.
- Avoid all forms of profanity and swearing.
- Keep an open mind even if you think you might be 100% right. There is always that remote chance that you are actually wrong.
- When someone does a favor for you, make sure to thank them sincerely and make sure they know you appreciate it.
Have fun and enjoy. Tell your friends and co-workers.