Having a bachelors degree is no longer a requirement to a lucrative career. I agree, having a bachelors degree will earn you more money than if you do not have one, however, this is not always the case. Research undertaken by CareerCast found that there are numerous jobs and profession that enable you to earn a high salary without having to undertake a 4 year college degree. Having said that, they do require specialized training.
“There’s no question that college graduates with four-year degrees are very likely to earn almost $1 million more in compensation through the course of their careers,” says Tony Lee, publisher of CareerCast. “However, for the many people who are unable to earn that degree because of the costs, financial obligations, or other reasons, it’s still possible to have a very rewarding, challenging, fulfilling career that pays well. “These jobs offer great opportunities for those job seekers,” he said. “To land one of these jobs, you’ll need to compensate with good old-fashioned hard work and some post-high-school training,”
CareerCast evaluated 200 professions across a variety of industries and skill levels to determine the highest-paying jobs that don’t require a four-year degree. It gathered data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Census Bureau, trade-association studies, and other sources.
Here are the results of CareerCast research:
10. Communications Equipment Mechanic – Annual Median Salary: $54,530
9. Aircraft Mechanic – Annual Median Salary: $55,230
8. Respiratory Therapist – Annual Median Salary: $55,870
7. Police Officer – Annual Median Salary: $56,980
6. Electrical Technician – Annual Median Salary: $57,850
5. Retail Buyer – Annual Median Salary: $60,550
4. Web Developer – Annual Median Salary: $62,500
3. Registered Nurse – Annual Median Salary: $65,470
2. Farmer Rancher – Annual Median Salary: $69,300
1. Commercial Pilot – Annual Median Salary: $73,280