The primary objective of any job interview is to identify how you can help your future boss and company succeed. In any job interview you should attempt to discover what the job requirements and hopes are and, in turn, try to match your background and experience with the job and company needs.
Job interviews can be very stressful and it is very easy to ignore the basic facts of the interview. There could be a lot going on in your life, your job, and with your year for alternative employment, that can force you to forget to approach the interview from the interviewer’s point of view. This could lead to the interviewer leaving the interview extremely unimpressed.
If you ask the right questions in an interview that focus on the needs, traits, requirements, and preferences of your future employer and boss, will result in a situation whereby your show that you are sincerely interested in the job and well-being of your boss and the company.
Here are some questions that all job applicants should ask in an interview
- What is the leadership style of my future boss?
- What are the characteristics of people who succeed in the company? What type of people do not succeed?
- Who are the main competitors of the company?
- How did you get started in this industry and why do you stay?
- What is the biggest change the company has gone through over the last 12 months? Does the company feel that the tough times are over and things within the company are getting better, or are things still looking pretty bleak?
- How does the marketing, sales, operations, technology work in the company?
- What is the one of the key successes of the company that an individual from outside the company would not have knowledge about?
- If I get the job, how do I achieve the best result on my performance review? What are the key accomplishments you expect from me to achieve over the next year?
- What are the company’s best and worst working relationships with other companies? What are the worst points you have to deal with on daily basis?
- How long will it take to receive an answer about the job application? When should i get back to you to see if i have been successful?
- How does the company undertake performance reviews? How does one make the most out of the performance review process to make sure that i am doing the best i can for the company?
- What is the company’s reward system? Is it a team oriented, equity-based, or bonus based? What are the positive and negatives of the company reward system?
- What type of industry and skills-based experience and background is the company looking for in the individual who will fulfill this position? What are the perfect qualities and characteristics of the ideal candidate and how do you assess my experience in comparison?
- What information does the company share with employees when it comes to revenues, costs, and operating metrics? How is this information shared with employees? How do I acquire the information I need to succeed at the job?
- What is the hiring philosophy of the company? Does the company hire an individual based on attitude and then teach the skills or does are you looking for people who already have the required skills and expertise?
This short list of questions is to help you to enter a job interview with easy to ask questions that will reveal the answers in any job interview and help you to succeed in your job application and career.