Don’t trash it – reuse it! Be creative as you look for new ways to reduce the amount or kinds of household waste. Give cardboard tubes to pet hamsters or gerbils. Plant seeds in an egg carton. Make a flower pot out of a plastic ice cream tub. By thinking creatively, you will often find new uses for common items and new ways to recycle and reduce waste.
- Turn a giant cardboard box into a child’s playhouse.
- Transform a plastic ice cream tub into a flower pot.
- Give pet hamsters or gerbils paper towel and toilet paper cardboard tubes with which to play. Use an egg carton to plant seedlings.
- Turn used tires (not steel-belted) into children’s swings or other playground equipment.
- Select nontoxic inks and art supplies.
- Combine source reduction techniques. For example, try storing coffee bought in bulk in empty coffee cans.
- Choose beverages such as water or milk in reusable containers, where appropriate.
- Place an order through the mail with a group of people in order to save money and reduce packaging waste.